Re: New Year. Renewed activity? New Chair?

On 7 February 2013 22:01, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote:
> On 07/02/2013 20:48, G. Ken Holman wrote:
>
>> Or, you say declaratively, "this chunk of text is to be rendered
>> within the following dimensions" (which isn't (yet) in XSL-FO).  Why
>> does the creator of the XSL-FO have to be worried about the possible
>> ways this is done?  If there are multiple ways this could be done,
>> then parameterize the ways as properties of the intention to keep
>> the text within the dimensions.  Then the renderer knows all of the
>> characteristics of the author's intent with the block of text.  One
>> of those properties would give the formatter constraints to play
>> with the font size.
>

> FO only gives so many fixed (parametrised) layouts I don't think you
> can say (which is I think What Patrick says in (lua)tex). Here is a
> database dump of hundreds of text fragments, arrange them in a suitable
> order to avoid bad page breaks and typeset the result. Obviously if you
> are typesetting a text book, that isn't the kind of layout requiremt you
> want, but it's not exactly uncommon either.
>

>> Perhaps your ideas could be incorporated in a new processing model,
>

> well of course it's an old model, I think the lack of feedback from the
> renderer is the main issue anyone coming from TeX or or a TeX-like
> system faces when looking at XSL-FO.

IMHO the prime request is for this feature,  yet it was hardly
discussed in the WG.

Given an 'if' or a 'choose' element in the vocabulary,
what conditions would you want to test, using feedback from the layout engine?

e.g. if 'pagebreak-due' to test if the next block would require to be broken.

What conditions would you like to test?

DaveP

--
Dave Pawson