Re: publishing conditions

ASF contributors don't sign over copyright interest. They give the same
license to the ASF as the ASF gives to anyone who downloads Apache
products and is ok with the license terms. The license is very
permissive [1] and the test cases publicly available. Anyone can just go
ahead and use them.

I'm sure not all the tests will be of interest for a vendor-independent
test suite, but they could be packaged together by reference and
downloaded from the ASF's Subversion repository (by HTTP) as required. I
don't think it's necessary to duplicate a lot of that test suite into
the W3C, essentially creating a fork. After all, anyone can contribute
new test cases to FOP. I'm sure the FOP community would also be open to
suggestions for maintaining additional data per test if that helps the
vendor-independent test process.

In case anyone is curious about FOP's test suite, it can be found here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/test/layoutengine/standard-testcases/

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

On 16.04.2012 17:08:42 Tony Graham wrote:
> On Mon, April 16, 2012 3:52 pm, Dave Pawson wrote:
> > On 16 April 2012 15:32, Tony Graham <tgraham@mentea.net> wrote:
> >> I don't even know about the test cases from the open source formatters
> >> since they are under different licenses but may need/want to be under a
> >> W3C license if they're to be promulgated by the W3C.
> >
> > Glad you raised that one Tony.
> >
> > If this group publishes anything.. What will the licensing be?
> >
> > Another one for Liam?
> >    Or is it up to us?
>
> Everything you contribute is done under the license agreement that you
> said you'd stick to when you signed up to the CG [1].
>
> IANAL, but I doubt that the FOP committers in the CG could contribute the
> FOP test cases since they've signed over their 'copyright interest' in the
> FOP code to the Apache Foundation already, and I really wouldn't want to
> have to go through the xmlroff test cases to see which ones post-date my
> working at Sun to see what could legally be relicensed to the W3C as a
> contribution.
>
> Regards,
>

> Tony.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/community/about/agreements/cla/