Re: Another viewpoint on validation

On Sat, April 14, 2012 4:01 pm, David Carlisle wrote:
> On 13/04/2012 22:44, Tony Graham wrote:
>> Personally, I don't see that the W3C is set up for CGs to write a spec
>> in
>> the absence of a WG to take it over and bless it.  For starters, CGs
>> don't
>> come with CVS or Mercurial access on the W3C servers so it would be
>> harder
>> for a CG to do things that fit into the regular spec-production
>> processes.
>
> Is that necessarily true? xml-er is similarly a CG and it has
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/xml-er/raw-file/tip/Overview.html
>
> admittedly Anne works for a member company and is a member of several WG
> in addition to the CG but the draft is under the control of a CG.

I was building up to a wonderful discussion of how the W3C wasn't set up
for CGs to host code, etc., but either I missed it before or it's been
recently added and the 'Tools and Infrastructure' page [1] does state that
a CG can get an issue tracking tool and/or a Mercurial repository on
request.

We'd also have to make public the spec's DTD and the stylesheets for
turning the spec XML into HTML, but I don't see any technical issue with
doing that.

Regards,

Tony.
(Back in the office after two weeks of travel)

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/about/tool/