Re: POI based Open AR proposal

On 9/3/2010 4:51 PM, Jens de Smit wrote:
<snip>
> I think for the foreseeable future this issue will extend to any sensor
> input we collect: it is known that almost any measuring device has a
> certain inaccuracy, and this accuracy can vary with environmental
> conditions such as light, temperature, humidity, amount of GPS
> sattelites etc. It may be prudent for content providers and/or AR
> clients to adjust the experience they offer based on the level of
> accuracy that has been registered.
>
> My question is: do we need to take this issue, that I believe is
> inherent in any digital-reality mixing application and therefore very
> relevant to AR, into account when doing our work?

Hi Jens,

This is not an answer to your very, very excellent question but a
tangent which might shed some light on a future feature.

I think, with some sensors in some situations, there is an option of
having the user interact with the client (user agent) to assist in
improving accuracy. This is a feature in the application "Swiss Peaks"
which has been released by a group in Information Management at the ETH
Zurich on Android and iPhone. http://peaks-app.ch/

They also have a Layar layer.

I'm aware of the fact that there are many of these Peak finder apps out
now but the point I want to make is simply that there is an option in
the application where the user can touch and drag the summit right or
left to help with the geo-positioning when the GPS is "off".

Is this common place?

If there are registration problems with other sensors, can there be a
user option to make a manual adjustment? the really, really compelling
feature would be for the client application to then bring some
information back to the AR meta data so that, in effect, crowds help the
information to become more accurate over time (this is not the case with
the GPS and peaks example, since, presumably the peaks don't move a
great deal, but could be valuable for some interior navigation or other
AR visual overlay applications).

--
Christine

Spime Wrangler