Re: thoughts towards a draft AR WG charter

On 09/08/2010 15:53, Christine Perey wrote:
> hi Dan and Matt,
>
> Thanks for carefully articulating what you see to be the challenges.
>
> To me, Dan's post [1] makes different points but is very consistent (at
> least not at odds) with the post by Rob which followed sequentially [2]
> but was part of the thread "The Three Letters of the WG".
>
> @All
>
> could those on the list, including (a) those with the most W3C positions
> and (b) those with the most AR implementation experience, post what they
> feel are the strengths or weaknesses of the proposal in [2] to establish
> a Patterns of Interest (POI) WG which covers Points of Interest as a
> specific case?

Hello list,

I feel I can support these ideas. I do think that, when choosing this
name, we need to spend some extra care in using and describing the WG's
goals to avoid unnecessary confusion. If we go with this name I think it
would be wise to write out the name of the WG wherever possible.
However, I like how the term "Pattern of Interest" has ties to both
geolocated AR through the abbreviation POI and to image
recognition-driven AR through the term Pattern. I think it is a decent
approximation of what the group would concern itself with.

Also, I think Dan raised some interesting points on how broad the term
"POI" can be interpreted once you expand your view beyond "lat/lon/alt".
I think keeping this broad view is critical to building (and keep
building) better AR but at the same time we don't want to turn this
group into a philosophical society but instead deliver something usable
in a workable amount of time. This duality needs to be addressed in the
charter.

Regards,

Jens