RE: Enhancement request

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Dave Fleck <Dave.Fleck@wacom.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this type of input, so please forgive me if this is the wrong place.
>
> There is a missing degree of freedom for the transducer. There is no way to indicate the axial twist of the transducer around it's major axis. I would recommend adding to the PointerEvent:
>
> twist of type long, readonly
> The axial rotation (in degrees, in the range of [0,359]) of the transducer about it's major axis. A value of zero indicates the buttons on the transducer are aligned in the positive Y direction. For devices that do not report twist, the value must be 0.
>
> Wacom provides pens and pucks (mouse) that have twist values, and touch can also have an orientation of the contact area that could be represented in twist.
>
> Other parameters worthy of consideration are a unique transducer ID, height above the surface, and a second barrel button.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Dave Fleck
> Wacom Technology

IE10 supports this device attribute via the rotation property [1] The working group discussed this previously and decided to leave it out of the V1 specification, citing lack of broad hardware availability (and testability) [2]. Dave providing me (off list) links to devices that support this data [3].  I think this would be a good property to consider for the V2 specification.

-Jacob

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh454909(v=vs.85).aspx, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh454887(v=vs.85).aspx
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2013AprJun/0005.html
[3] https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/KP701E2/ (and other Wacom Pro products)