RE: Last Call comments

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:34:47 +0100
To: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>, Pointer Events WG <public-pointer-events@w3.org>
> Preventing browser reaction via a custom css property contradicts both the
> css paradigm (css is not designed to handle user input) and the DOM Event
> paradigm (preventDefault is the normal way to prevent browser behavior);
I've to disagree with you on this. CSS *is* a perfectly valid way to configure the browser behavior.

Some already standardized behavioural CSS Properties include 'pointer-events' and 'user-select' but you can find several other of them prefixed in browsers like 'user-input', 'user-drag', 'user-focus', 'touch-callout' on iOS and even 'nav-index' which control TAB-order of elements or 'resize' which contraints the resizing behavior of textarea elements.

> furthermore, the idea that browser may have different reactions on mouse
> and touch actions ruins the whole proposal.

The idea of this proposal is not to say that all input types should work the same, but that all of them should use the same propagation behavior.