Comments from PLING to MAWG

From: Renato Iannella <renato@nicta.com.au>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:30:37 +1000
To: Daniel Park <soohong.park@samsung.com>, "joakim.soderberg@ericsson.com" <Joakim.Soderberg@ericsson.com>

Dear W3C Media Annotations WG chairs, the W3C Policy Language
Interest Group (PLING) would like to offer the following comments and

The PLING would like to see greater support for links to machine-
interpretable policies as part of the web architecture. We recommend
that the Media Annotations WG strongly consider this requirement for
the "Ontology for Media Resource" WD [1]. Specifically, we suggest
that "ma:policy" be supported as a link (URI) to a policy. We do not
expect that every application will understand the policy at the end of
the URI, but they will at least be aware of the policy, and for those
that do (such as CC [2], ODRL [3] etc) can then provide an improved
service as the user interacts with the media.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-mediaont-10-20090618/
[2] http://creativecommons.org/choose/
[3] http://odrl.net/2.0/DS-ODRL-Model.html

We look forward to your comments and response.

Cheers...  Renato Iannella (on behalf of the PLING)