Re: Question about W3C Rule Interchange Format

Hi all

bonatti@na.infn.it wrote:
>> Piero and All - could this lack of progress (specifically in terms of the
>> two highlighted points) be due to the fact that RIF is a reasonably recent
>> specification or are there any intrinsic adoption  problem (e.g.
>> complexity, lack of requirements/needs, no support from vendors, etc.)?
>> Any clue?
>
> well, as far as I can observe the main reason might actually be that RIF
> is  young. moreover, the usual issues affected the standardization
> progress:
>
> - wheel rediscovery and complication of simple things due to different
> background, company interests etc.
>
> - eventually lots of effort to publish a document on the core of the
> standard in reasonable time (I believe the first recommendation has been
> released very recently)
>
> - all advanced/specific topics postponed

I don't know the extent to which these issues arose with RIF, but it is
worth pointing out that some of the RIF specs are in Last Call now, and
that that careful review of these would be very useful for all concerned.

See http://www.w3.org/News/2008#item132
[[
Six RIF Working Drafts Published; Last Call for Basic Logic Dialect and
RDF-OWL

2008-08-01: The Rule Interchange Format (RIF) Working Group published
six documents yesterday:

     * RIF Basic Logic Dialect (Last Call)
     * RIF RDF and OWL Compatibility (Last Call)
     * RIF Framework for Logic Dialects
     * RIF Use Cases and Requirements
     * RIF Production Rule Dialect (First Public Draft)
     * RIF Datatypes and Built-Ins 1.0

"RIF Basic Logic Dialect" (BLD) specifies an XML format for rules at an
intermediate expressive power. The language is roughly Horn rules with
URIs, datatypes, and builtins. This goes beyond datalog (it has function
terms), but does not provide any kind of negation. "RIF RDF and OWL
Compatibility" explains and specifies how RIF rulesets are to be used in
combination with RDF and OWL. Comments on these documents welcome until
19 September. In addition, RIF Production Rule Dialect (PRD) specifies
an XML format for the exchange of production rules. PRD and BLD are
expected to be the basis of the two main dialect-branches, with RIF Core
being the things in common between the two. RIF Framework for Logic
Dialects (FLD) and RIF Datatypes and Builtins (DTB) provide common
elements for specific dialects to use. RIF Uses Cases and Requirements
(UCR), last published about two years ago, has been simplified and now
has examples written in the PRD and BLD presentation syntaxes. Learn
more about the Semantic Web Activity.]]

Comments are invited to public-rif-comments@w3.org --- see the status
section of each document for details.

cheers,