RE: Question about W3C Rule Interchange Format

From: <bonatti@na.infn.it>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:36:17 +0200 (CEST)
To: "Casassa Mont, Marco" <marco_casassa-mont@hp.com>
Cc: "public-pling@w3.org" <public-pling@w3.org>

> Piero and All - could this lack of progress (specifically in terms of the
> two highlighted points) be due to the fact that RIF is a reasonably recent
> specification or are there any intrinsic adoption  problem (e.g.
> complexity, lack of requirements/needs, no support from vendors, etc.)?
> Any clue?

well, as far as I can observe the main reason might actually be that RIF
is  young. moreover, the usual issues affected the standardization
progress:

- wheel rediscovery and complication of simple things due to different
background, company interests etc.

- eventually lots of effort to publish a document on the core of the
standard in reasonable time (I believe the first recommendation has been
released very recently)

- all advanced/specific topics postponed

moreover, I believe that REWERSE was the only partner with specific
expertise on security/privacy applications

best,
piero