Re: ARIA 1.1: Deprecate @aria-grabbed and @aria-dropeffect

> On Sep 15, 2015, at 19:03, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
>
> I think there may be enough in the HTML 5.1 spec to make native HTML drag&drag accessible. I know that there is not enough in the ARIA spec to make drag&drop accessible on all platforms. We could let it limp along, or we could deprecate it. I think the responsible decision is to deprecate it and focus on the good parts of ARIA.
The ARIA properties do not support informing the AT of the objects passed as the drag operation progresses. This is important feedback if touch input is used, allowing a screen reader to inform the user of the change in location of the dragged object so that the correct destination can be reached.

The HTML 5.1 drag and drop API issues events during the drag operation, which should enable such feedback to be provided.

I think the best path ahead lies in working with UA and AT implementors to have the HTML 5.1 API consistently supported and finalized in the spec. Coordination with the SVG working group is also desirable.

I wouldn’t oppose deprecating aria-grabbed and aria-dropeffect in ARIA 1.1. Deprecation is not the same as removal, but it signals that a better solution is to be developed in coordination with relevant working groups. The problem can then be revisited for ARIA 2.0.

Thank you for your compliance.