RE: ARIA 1.1: Deprecate @aria-grabbed and @aria-dropeffect

It seems, dragsource and droptarget is helpful but not widely used and accepted within developers and AT due to reasons lugubrious to me.

We always said that interaction implementation is left to the authors. Nevertheless the APG should give hints how to accomplish simple D&D operations by keyboard alternatives. The cut/paste metaphor can work for it. I’ve never seen a comprehensive bullet point list of issues prohibiting this approach.

-      Stefan

From: James Craig [mailto:jcraig@apple.com]
Sent: Freitag, 11. September 2015 09:37
To: Bryan Garaventa; Richard Schwerdtfeger; Joanmarie Diggs
Cc: lwatson@paciellogroup.com; WAI Protocols & Formats
Subject: Re: ARIA 1.1: Deprecate @aria-grabbed and @aria-dropeffect

Restarting the thread since ARIA drag/drop hasn't been deprecated yet.

Replying to one question by Bryan:

If these attributes were no longer supported, how would a non-sighted user know when an item was ‘grabbed’, and where within the tree a focusable element was enabled for being ‘droppable’?

I think you're asking the wrong question, Bryan. Even if a web author did add the ARIA drag/drop attributes and a screen reader user knew they were drag or drop targets, the drag/drop functionality would not magically start working with a screen reader. The only recommended authoring pattern conflates drag attributes with a defaultAction-based selection model (e.g. press-to-select or drop) that is totally unrelated to actual drag/drop functionality. As a inverse case in point, none of Jon Gunderson's ARIA drag/drop examples work by using mouse-based drag/drop.

This is why ARIA drag/drop is a non-starter and needs to be deprecated.

James