Re: ARIA 1.1: Deprecate @aria-grabbed and @aria-dropeffect

Restarting the thread since ARIA drag/drop hasn't been deprecated yet.

Replying to one question by Bryan:
> If these attributes were no longer supported, how would a non-sighted user know when an item was ‘grabbed’, and where within the tree a focusable element was enabled for being ‘droppable’?

I think you're asking the wrong question, Bryan. Even if a web author did add the ARIA drag/drop attributes and a screen reader user knew they were drag or drop targets, the drag/drop functionality would not magically start working with a screen reader. The only recommended authoring pattern conflates drag attributes with a defaultAction-based selection model (e.g. press-to-select or drop) that is totally unrelated to actual drag/drop functionality. As a inverse case in point, none of Jon Gunderson's ARIA drag/drop examples work by using mouse-based drag/drop.

This is why ARIA drag/drop is a non-starter and needs to be deprecated.

James