Re: Issue-742: Proposal aria-destination

On 2015-10-15 4:33 PM, John Foliot wrote:
> Conceptually, I think of it more like an accessible description,
and

> I'm currently arguing that it's*exactly*  like @rel,

I don't think you can have it both ways.  Either it's an accessible
description, or it's a relationship/type/sub-role.

Like accessible names, accessible descriptions are arbitrary strings,
whereas the value of @rel is from a set of tokens.  As I understand it,
coga wants to key styling off the type of link. That's why using tokens
is the way to go (as you illustrated). (Note:  for completion, like
@rel, the values of @aria-destination are tokens).

>> It's not clear whether it would be used by an assistive technology.
>> That's under discussion.  But, as a data point, the ARIA documents all have a
>> glossary, and links to the definitions are scattered throughout.
>> Those links are styled differently than other links and it's obvious at a glance that
>> they are glossary links (well, obvious to an editor).
> That's easy enough:
>
>    a[rel="glossary"] { color: red; }
>
> or, if you really want:
>
>    a[rel="dpub.glossary"] { color: red; }

Yes, that's the kind of thing that coga wants to do.  My point here is
not about how to implement it, but whether it is useful for assistive
technologies.  I'm noting that even within W3C specifications, links are
styled differently depending on their type such that sighted users
experience them differently.  The fact that there is a visual cue for
the type of link suggests that there is a semantic to be communicated by
ATs.  But I'm not sure that it's of much value in this case.  I
recognize the glossary links at a glance since I'm an editor -- I have
to make sure the correct styles are used.  But, does the general reader
know what that specific visual cue means?  At this point there is no
universal, canonical style for glossary links, so I doubt they do.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -