Re: Issue-742: Proposal aria-destination

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 4:15 PM, Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> On 2015-10-15 11:59 AM, Alexander Surkov wrote:
>
>> How is it different from accessible name?
>>

> The values of @aria-destination are a token list.  Accessible names are
> arbitrary strings.
>
> It can be thought of as a sub-role.  For example, the role is still a
> link, but in some cases it's a link to the home page; in others, to a
> glossary entry, and so on.

I mean that typical example probably will be <span role='link'
aria-destination='home'>Home</span>, i.e. both aria-destination and
accessible name provide same information. So if nobody needs to process
that info programmatically, for example, if AT is going to announce
human-readable part only, then probably there's no need for
aria-destination.

Right, it's good point why @rel attribute cannot be reused.

> Can I have an example how assistive technology will use it?
>>

> It's not clear whether it would be used by an assistive technology. That's
> under discussion.  But, as a data point, the ARIA documents all have a
> glossary, and links to the definitions are scattered throughout.  Those
> links are styled differently than other links and it's obvious at a glance
> that they are glossary links (well, obvious to an editor).

I see. Perhaps the semantic bit here is link type (aka normal link or
definition link) rather than link target. So I would go with new role for
this example.