From: Joseph Scheuhammer [mailto:clown@alum.mit.edu]
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 7:13 AM
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>; Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com>; Alice Boxhall <aboxhall@google.com>
Cc: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>; Protocols and Formats Working Group <public-pfwg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Questions about your name calculation litmus tests

Hi Bryan,

On 2015-11-27 5:47 PM, Bryan Garaventa wrote:
> Please let me know if anything is incorrect in the algorithm or in the
> Visual ARIA representation of this.

One comment:  there is a way for aria-label and aria-labelledby to work together, namely when aria-labelledby refers to itself.  Here is a bare bone example, where the name is "Alfred":

<input id="self" aria-labelledby="self" aria-label="Alfred">

Example 2 in the current TR provides an more complex version of this interaction at step 2C (http://www.w3.org/TR/accname-aam-1.1/#step2C).
I've repeated part of it below, where the <span> with role="button" has the name "Delete Documentation", composed from a self-referential aria-labelledby and its aria-label, as well as another element referenced from the aria-labelledby:

 >     <a id="file_row1"
href="./files/Documentation.pdf">Documentation.pdf</a>
aria-labelledby="del_row1 file_row1" aria-label="Delete" ></span>

Hope that helps.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -