Re: addition of HTML role requirement mappings

From: Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:30:16 -0500
To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, "W3C WAI Protocols & Formats" <public-pfwg@w3.org>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Thanks, James. Answering inline (if it's out scope of the topic then let's
move it somewhere else).

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> Ah. There are several reasons and use cases:
>
> 1. ARIA is used for more than just HTML, (e.g. SVG <g role="table">)

afaik SVG allows HTML inside, it doesn't seem the author have to use ARIA
if he wants tabular data for AT in SVG.

> 2. Some people need to retrofit tablular data on existing sites that do
> not use <table> (e.g. <div role="table">)

What does prevent them to use HTML tables?

> 3. The 1:1 role mapping to HTML is also required for presentation
> inheritance. (e.g. <table role="presentation">)
> 4. The 1:1 role mapping will be useful once we add the
> Element.computedRole interface. PFWG-ISSUE-427

I don't follow these cases, can you elaborate please?