Re: APA Personalization Task Force Teleconference - Monday August 12, 2019

Hi Charles, Lisa, colleagues,

Sadly, I will be unable to join you on Monday, as I am training (again).
Regarding Lisa's July 29 email:

*If we are agreeing on the basic concept of using the bic numbers*

FWIW, *I* think that is a good path forward, and support that approach.

*1. Items that speed up the authoring process and make it more scalable can
be moved to a separate module. This could  included:*

   - *terms (or more terms) that replace very common concepts*
   - *a way to associate new symbol(s) with the reference mechanism in a
   mapping file (phase 2 for scalability for authors if the content provider
   is using their own symbols?)*
   - *a way to reference a mapping file to use in the content (phase 2 for
   scalability for authors if the content provider is using their own
   symbols?)*

I think a two-step approach like this makes more sense. While I agree and
would like to see a more "common list of usable terms", any
internationalization concern there needs to be explored in more detail. I'd
suggest this be a topic for discussion at TPAC if you can find Richard
Ishida. A formal or informal (hallway chat) discussion should be pursued.

*2. Are we happy with the term data-symbol (I get the impression that we
are) Could data-symbol merge this with data-action ?*

I am happy with "data-symbol" going forward.

Lisa, I am not sure what you mean by "merge". If the question is, could we
merge action symbols in such a way that we wouldn't need to use 2
attributes, then maybe... I think that would also be a phase 2 discussion,
because programatically identifying actions is a different "ask" than
substituting symbols for text, although I do see an overlap there.
Were you suggesting that the taxonomy terms for action also be mapped to
Bliss BIC numbers?

*3. we also have to check any patent issues involved with bliss.*

Indeed, and while I think we all believe we're in the clear here, a more
formal verification as part of our emergent Recommendation would add value
and weight.

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good