Re: Problems and Opportunities at purl.org

Greetings, all.

[pruning cc's to just the list]

On 1 Mar 2016, at 10:39, Ian Dunlop wrote:

> I applaud all these efforts to transition towards w3id. Do we have any
> idea
> how often PIDs are (were) requested from purl? If it is often then
> maybe
> going forward a simple web interface to allow people to add a simple
> redirect from this to this rule. Even getting people to fork github
> projects and add a line to a csv is quite often too much.

Can I just check what the goal is, here?

Is it:

   (a) Create a w3id.org redirect for each/most purl.org redirect and
abandon the purl.org ones in whole or in part?

   (b) Support purl.org as a domain -- ie, support all/most existing
http://purl.org/.../blah redirects -- even if it's implemented by a
similar mechanism to w3id.org?

   (c) Work towards a mechanism for creating new purl.org redirects by
whatever means?

I hope it's not (a) -- I feel it would look un-reassuring to abandon
well-established persistent identifiers.

Option (b) would surely be a minimum.

I think there's a strong case for aspiring to (c).  The purl.org 'brand'
is a fairly well-known one, even if it's had its technical troubles in
the last few years, and being able to support it to the extent of
creating new purl.org redirects would be an impressive display of
community commitment to the idea of persistent URIs.

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk