Re: linked

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:47:23 -0500
To: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Cc: "'public-p3p-spec'" <public-p3p-spec@w3.org>, brunner@nic-naa.net

Rigo,

This seems to be my week for playing old songs. At the same meeting I wrote
about a few days ago (November f2f Palo Alto), we went round and around on
the cookie linkage issue.

We achived agreement to require linkage disclosure, to the disapointment of
two or three of Engage's competitiors (if memory serves) in the ad network
business, who observed, inter alia, that they'd have to cookie twice, once
with a no-pii cookie, once with a pii cookie, to link non-session data to a
policed cookie.

So, it is my sense of where "we" were "then", that the following is accurate:

	We shouldn't restrict data collection to the current session.

We already agreed to show the existance of extra-session state, and that was
the correct choice.

Eric