Re: Comments on "[P3P]: Beyond HTTP"

Hugo, thank you for this extensive (tutorial!) email!

On Monday 16 June 2003 05:14, Hugo Haas wrote:
> So, anyway, in order to make things concrete, let's try to address the
> second case: expressing a URI to a P3P policy document. I think that
> it is more useful than expressing the URI to a policy reference since
> a WSDL description would already give a list of policies for each
> service. Again, this would probably be up for discussion.

I still can't say I understand all of this Feature and WSDL stuff, but I
think you have a very important point there. A Policy Reference file
designates a (1) life time (expiration), (2) policies, (3) and set of paths
for a web site (via INCLUDE and EXCLUDE) where those policies apply.
Basically a set of URIs over which one does HTTP methods (GET, POST, PUT)
That makes lots of sense for browsing a web sites, but not so much for Web
Service.

In the Web Service case one will be doing port names (operations) as applied
to a soap:address? In which case, a Policy Reference file isn't really
needed.

> --8<----
> P3P feature
>
> - Name
>
> 	http://example.org/2003/06/16-p3pf/
>
> - Description
>
> The P3P feature is used to indicate the P3P policy governing the use
> of a service.
>
> - Properties
>
> The P3P feature defines a single property:
>
>   Property name:
>
> 	http://example.org/2003/06/16-p3pf/id
>
>   Property type:
>
>   	xsd:anyURI
>
> The value of the http://www.w3.org/2003/06/16-p3pf/id property is the
> identifier for the P3P policy governing the use of the service.

So we sort of have this, less formally, and we haven't given ita special
"feature" URI...

> Which makes me wonder: are policy reference file useful to Web
> services? With WSDL and something like a P3P feature, wouldn't the
> problem addressed by policy reference files taken care of?

Yes, I think so. So in our scenario, we'd still want the Policy Reference
file for the XForms/XHTML aspect, but not for the registrar to registry
aspect.

Patrick, is your understanding sufficient that you have a sense of what
changes we could make to our document? I still need to keep thinking it
through for myself....