Re: CR Exit Criteria

Ian et al --
   I think the new exit criteria [1] are better, but I have two minor
concerns  (which actually are for the opposite reason from before --
I've now been convinced by you, Bijan and others that there are
implementations out there that are likely to pass the tests and to be
able to demonstrate all the features I've been questioning ), I think
some of the wording in the current version could be tightened up -
because the way things are said now there's a bit too much room for
interpretation and I think we would be subject to being made to
tighten things up and do a longer CR than we have to if someone wants
to cause delay or complain.  In particular, I suggest a couple of
wording changes:

I) The current version [1] says for OWL Full

> At least two different implementations of an OWL 2 Full entailment
> checker implementing useful subsets of OWL Full and passing a useful
> subset of the non-DL test cases

but what is a useful subset? Rather, since we know OWL 1 Full
implementations exist (proved when OWL 1 passed CR), and since those
would by default handle a useful subset of OWL 2, I don't think this
CR needs to prove the implementability of Full.  Rather, we should
just show that the new features added in OWL 2 Full are implementable
- so let's only test the new stuff.  So I suggest that we make the
only OWL 2 Full criterion:

  At least one implementation passing each of the non-DL test cases
that support features of the OWL 2 Full design that were not in OWL 1.

II) The current version [1] says for each of the Profiles (EL, QL and
RL)

> Two different implementations of an OWL 2 XX entailment checker, at
> least one of which takes advantage of some of the claimed benefits
> of the XX profile

again, "some" makes me nervous, and also some of the claimed benefits
of these profiles are theoretical, not implementable, and thus an
implementation couldn't show them.  Rather, I'd suggest we say

> Two different implementations of an OWL 2 XXX entailment checker and
> at least one implementation that can demonstrates each of the
> (implementable) benefits of the XXX profile

that will be more easily demonstrated and the only thing that would be
debatable is which things are implementable, but I think those won't
be too hard for the WG to decide - and we'd be able to decide during CR.

I think these criteria would be clearer than those in [1] at the time
of this writing, and also that it would be easier to prove that all CR
criteria are met than with the less specific ones.  I also think that
we are very close to the above already, and that the criteria being
proposed would thus be easily met.

   -Jim H.

On May 23, 2009, at 1:47 PM, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> Yet another re-working of the exit criteria is now available in the
> usual place [1]. As well as adding the improved "at risk" text, it
> also separates the Full, DL and Profiles cases a little more
> clearly. For Full I now have:
>
> "At least two different implementations of an OWL 2 Full entailment
> checker implementing useful subsets of OWL Full and passing a useful
> subset of the non-DL test cases. "
>
> No doubt you will let me know if you don't like this formulation.
>
> Ian
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/CR_Exit_Criteria
>

> On 23 May 2009, at 04:33, Sandro Hawke wrote:

>>> There are other alternatives. At the moment, for instance, there is
>>> discussion of using the name rdf:plainLiteral. I suggest something
>>> more
>>> along the lines:
>>>
>>> "Note that rdf:text is marked as "at risk", and may be renamed,
>>> replaced, or
>>> have technical details modified as a result of ongoing work of the
>>> joint
>>> OWL/RIF working group determining its specification."
>>
>> +1  I was going to say that.
>>
>>      -- Sandro

"Con un poco de semántica ya se consigue ir muy lejos"

Prof James Hendler				http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~hendler, @jahendler,
twitter
Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept