RE: Proposal to make certain ontology properties of OWL 2 Full into annotation properties

Jie Bao wrote:

>> PROPOSED: All ontology properties of the RDF-Based Semantics that are
>listed as annotation properties in Sec. 5.5 of the Structural
>Specification are /additionally/ made into annotation properties
>(instances of class owl:AnnotationProperty) in the RDF-Based Semantics.
>>
>This will make owl:OntologyProperty, same as owl:owl:distinctMembers
>and owl:DataRange, be kept only for backward compatibility.  In the
>Map2RDF document, owl:OntologyProperty is always replaced by
>owl:AnnotationProperty in parsing. I general, I think your proposal
>makes sense.
>
>And l believe after this fix, the following triple will be always true
>in every OWL 2 Full ontology:
>
>owl:OntologyProperty rdfs:subclassOf rdf:type owl:AnnotationProperty

No. The proposal has no such semantic consequences for the class
owl:OntologyProperty. I only proposed to make a few specific
ontology properties into annotation properties, *not every* ontology
property. The proposed change is as small as possible to just get
the described problems fixed, it's not meant to be a change of
the "parts hierarchy" in OWL (2) Full. (Technically, the only consequence
is that the classes owl:OntologyProperty and owl:AnnotationProperty
cannot be assumed to be disjoint anymore -- who cares?)

[snip]

>Even after the fix, QRG may still mention owl:OntologyProperty in the
>appendix, follow the example of four other "deprecated" terms.

Yes, the term owl:OntologyProperty will still exist, and so will
probably still be mentioned in QRG (for those who care).

>Jie

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
Email: michael.schneider@fzi.de
WWW  : http://www.fzi.de/michael.schneider
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts, Az 14-0563.1, RP Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer