RE: A proposal for clarifying the definitions of datatype maps, take II

Hello,

While it is true that this sentence was removed, I don't think that anything has
been lost from the normative point of view.

The Syntax document now defines in Section 4 the OWL 2 datatype map as a fixed
set of datatypes; then, in Section 5 it says that people can use these datatypes
in OWL 2 ontologies. Datatypes are now just like any other construct: they are a
fixed part of the language. Saying something like "an OWL 2 tool must support
all OWL 2 datatypes" is thus tantamount to saying "an OWL 2 tool must support
all OWL 2 class constructors".

The sentence you refer to has been introduced because things have not been like
this earlier: the set of datatypes was not fixed and we initially allowed for a
pick-and-mix approach. Since this is now completely gone from all parts of the
Syntax document (as well as the other documents), I really don't think anything
special needs to be said about the support for datatypes: they need to be
supported in their entirety just like any other part of the language.

Regards,

	Boris