Re: Proposal for multiple syntaxes everywhere

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:02:46 +0000
Cc: W3C OWL Working Group <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>

On 30 Jan 2009, at 20:47, Jim Hendler wrote:
> +1 - I must admit I was originally worried about all the syntax
> variants until I saw a document with all of them in it - made it
> clear these were very interoperable and was amazingly useful for cut/
> paste -- we should also do a Web site somewhere in W3C space that
> links to or does all the appropriate conversions -

There's one hosted here:

This is the one that would be hosted in W3C space. So it's not just
for XML conversion.

Note that it's already being used by the test cases:
see the example:
(Hmm. Gotta get the turtle in.)

I think we can make the interface a bit nicer there. I favor a tab view.

Note that this is the same code that drives Protege4.

> I know Bijan has already mentioned the XML one, but all in one place
> would be a good way to show these really are just different
> presentations, and that's another way to help reduce some of the
> confusion (also, has anyone done an OWL to OWL2 "updater" - I know
> some parts of that would be hard, but a lot of the datatyping and
> such could be done easily, I'd think)

The OWL API maintains all its historical parsers, so can consume OWL
1, to OWL 1.1, to all the changes in OWL2.

OWL 1 can be parsed entirely (afaik) by a vanilla OWL 2 parser. So
it's pretty peasy. A bit more fun woud be to have something that
converted patterns to new syntactic sugar (e.g., lots of disjointWiths
into an AllDisjoint).