RE: Last call comment - conformance/datatype map

From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 07:31:19 +0100
To: "Alan Ruttenberg" <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Cc: "W3C OWL Working Group" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

I am *against* explicitly forbidding any datatypes.

The RDF Semantics (D-Entailment = RDFS + datatype maps, to be more precise)
does not explicitly disallow any datatypes, and the same is true for both
OWL 1 Full and OWL 1 DL. I understand this to be intended: These languages
just define a core set of datatypes, and a basic framework which allows
implementers to add arbitrary custom datatypes, whenever this is useful for
them.

Disallowing datatypes would mean for an implementer who currently sells an
RDF or OWL 1 system with some of the datatypes we forbid in OWL 2, that he
cannot upgrade his system to an OWL 2 conformant system without removing the
"bad" datatypes. This will hardly be acceptable for such an implementer and
his customers.

Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)

==

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftung Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Rudi
Studer

==