RE: draft response for LC comment 16 (lexical value)

From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:54:10 +0100
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
Ah, I remember, I was asked to draft this myself in one telco... :-]

Actually, my comment was more about consistency with /OWL 1/ and RDF.

Concerning XML Schema, being consistent with this standard looks to me more as "nice to have" than to be a requirement. Our notion of a datatype or a datatype map is not totally dependent on that of XSD, and we even define datatypes outside the scope of XSD (rdf:XMLLiteral, owl:rational).

But when I look into the XSD spec at

I can see that this document uses /two/ different terms:

  * "lexical form" (e.g. in §3.2.16), and

  * "lexical representation" (e.g. in §

I'm not an XSD expert. Does anyone know whether these terms are used as synonyms? In this case, things would be especially fine for us.
Nevertheless, I think we should not refer to XSD to motivate our step to change the terminology. It should be sufficient to point to OWL 1 and RDF. And these two specs say "lexical form".

>The diffs can be found at
>... Syntax
>... Direct Semantics

and "... RDF-Based Semantics".

>The working group views this as an editorial change.

Yes, of course!

>Please acknowledge receipt of this email to
><mailto:public-owl-comments@w3.org> (replying to this email should
>suffice). In your acknowledgment please let us know whether or not you
>are satisfied with the working group's response to your comment.
>Peter F. Patel-Schneider
>on behalf of the W3C OWL Working Group

PS: Apart from the somewhat hairsplitting discussion above, I, as the original commenter, would be happy with the outcome to use "lexical form". :)

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
Email: schneid@fzi.de
WWW  : http://www.fzi.de/ipe/eng/mitarbeiter.php?id=555

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftung Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Rudi Studer