Re: Explain profile acronyms

While the above is technically correct,  I think that some people
would miss the fact that "syntactic" subsets of OWL 2  DL is different
than the fact that you must use the DL restrictions (esp for RL) - so
I'd suggest one of the following three rewordings:

Note that each of the profiles is a (strict) syntactic subset of OWL
2's syntax, but none of the profiles is a subset of each other  [[i.e.
since syntactically OWL DL and OWL Full are same thing, why bring up
the issue]]

or

Note that each of the profiles is a (strict) syntactic subset of OWL 2
DL and none of the profiles is a subset of another.  We note that OWL
RL is expected to be used primarily with OWL Full semantics, the
others with OWL DL. [[which is clear, but I suspect controversial]]

or

just say

None of these profiles is a subset of another [[and avoid the whole
issue]]

I'm sorry, but I do consider the quoted line above to a problem, and
one I cannot ignore....
   -Jim H.

On Aug 4, 2009, at 6:42 AM, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> This seems like a good compromise.
>
> I have made the relevant changes. The diff is:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/index.php?title=Profiles&diff=25048&oldid=24645
>
> Regards,
> Ian
>

> On 4 Aug 2009, at 10:59, Uli Sattler wrote:
>

>> On 3 Aug 2009, at 21:51, Pascal Hitzler wrote:
>>
>>> I would really stick to the real/historic explanation (EL family).
>>
>> we could also add "which is called EL because it is a *l*anguage
>> (or *l*logic) that only provides *e*xistential quantification of
>> variables."? Cheers, Uli
>>
>>> I understand that it's not directly helpful, but at least it
>>> becomes clear that there is some reason to it - and in case
>>> somebody wants to read up on it on the DL literature, he's not
>>> lost in the DL acronyms ...
>>>
>>> In fact I'll add this to the primer as soon as the wiki is
>>> accessible again (it currently seems to be down...)
>>>
>>> Pascal.

>>> --
>>> PD Dr. Pascal Hitzler
>>> pascal@pascal-hitzler.de   http://www.pascal-hitzler.de
>>> Semantic Web Textbook: http://www.semantic-web-book.org

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things,
not because they are easy, but because they are hard - John F.
Kennedy, Sept 12, 1962

Prof James Hendler								http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~hendler
Tetherless World Constellation Chair & Asst Dean of IT and Web Science
Computer and Cognitive Science Depts
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY 12180     	@jahendler, twitter