RE: reply to a POWDER Group request

From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 14:58:20 +0200
To: "Ivan Herman" <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

Only some trivial/minor things, no change of the intended content of the proposed mail:

>Dear Phil,
>thanks for you note.
"your" ?

>We have indeed found some problems in section 4.6
>of http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-powder-formal-20090403/ which needs
>updates. There are as follows.
"They" ?

>- The reference should be to XSD1.1 and not XSD2:
>      http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/
>- 'At the time of writing, the OWL-2' should say "OWL 2" (ie, no hyphen)
>- The reference to OWL 2 currently points to the OWL 2 primer.
Maybe better "Primer" (capitalized).

>We think
>it would be better if it pointed at the (new) OWL 2 Overview document:
"OWL 2 Document Overview [document]" (the second "document", while correct, sounds a bit strange after the change).

>- The semantic condition refers to rdfs:Resource for the domain of
>hasIRI. Although the description refers to an extension of the RDF
>semantics, it makes use of, say, owl:DatatypeProperty. Hence it may be
>stylistically better to refer to owl:Thing.
>- The encoding of the condition in the example has several problems,
>partially due to some recent changes in OWL 2. These are
>    - namespace changes (OWL 2 refers to xsd:pattern directly and not
>owl:pattern; it
"OWL 2" (looks like "it" refers to "owl:pattern".

>reuses rdfs:Datatype instead of datarange)

>    - we also think that the type of restriction used is inappropriate.
>owl:hasValue should refer to a single individual and not to a
>datatype/datarange. Based on the rest of the POWDER semantics, what you
>probably have to use is owl:allValuesFrom, but this is something you
>have to decide, of course
>    - the RDF mapping of facets is based on a list of blank nodes
>instead of the approach used in the current code
>The first example (the second has similar structure) should look
>something like:
>  <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="....#hasIRI"/>
>  <owl:allValuesFrom>
>    <rdfs:Datatype>
>      <owl:onDatatype rdf:resource="...#string"/>
>      <owl:withRestrictions rdf:parseType="Collection">
>        <rdf:Description>
>          <xsd:pattern rdf:datatype="...#string">PATTERN</xsd:pattern>
>        </rdf:Description>
>      </owl:withRestrictions>
>    <rdfs:Datatype>
>  </owl:allValuesFrom>
>We are sorry not to have spotted this issue earlier.
>(In the name of the OWL 2 Working Group)

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
Email: michael.schneider@fzi.de
WWW  : http://www.fzi.de/michael.schneider
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts, Az 14-0563.1, RP Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer