RE: Review of RDF Mapping

Folks,

I want to concur with Boris here!

Every time we are resolving some change to the RDF mapping, I'm getting
busy, having paper and pencil and a copy of the current version of the
RDF-Based Semantics in my hands, getting myself a cup of coffee, and
starting to calculate whether there are any non-obvious semantic
consequences, e.g. concerning the consistency of OWL 2 Full or concerning
the correctness of the correspondence theorem. A particular change may seem
"natural" in the first place, but then turns out to have unexpected side
effects. Hence, such analysis work is generally non-trivial and takes me a
lot of time.

This has sometimes even been a joy job. However, looking at my watch, there
are less than *4 hours* left before we are going to vote our documents into
LC. So can we please stop these sorts of discussions NOW? There has been a
lot of time for these discussions within the last few months.

Concerning DatatypeDefinitionS in particular: I find it not unnatural to use
owl:equivalentClass for this purpose in OWL 2 Full (otherwise I would have
spoken up... before today :)). Clearly, one uses owl:equivalentClass for
writing definitions such as

  ex:C owl:equivalentClass ...SuperComplexClassExpression...

Now, a datatype restriction is a datatype, and thus is just another class in
OWL 2 Full. And as long as the LHS of such a definition-equivalence-axiom is
typed as a datatype, everything is fine for the RDF-Based Semantics. (I
could have introduce another semantic conditions of the form: "If one of the
two sides is a datatype, then the other is as well, but I didn't, since it
isn't necessary for the correspondence theorem to hold.)

Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)