Re: Wiki seems to be near to collapse!

On 7 Apr 2009, at 23:22, Michael Schneider wrote:
[snip]
> I must say I like the Wiki approach. For example, one can easily point
> people to a particular historic version of a document. They don't have
> to download anything, the old version is simply available as a
> website.

This is pretty standard in web access to repos. And easy to simulate
where not.

> One can also easily play around with new stylesheets and the like
> in a sandbox version of the document, create examples, and everything
> is a website accessible from everywhere.

I guess I don't see how a wiki makes this any easier. Is it the last
bit, the website accessible from anywhere?

With the OWL 1.1 website you got this by a cron job pushing the
committed HTML to the website. It was quite similar in feel.

My take away is that the nice features (live versions, comments on
documents, templates, insta publish on commit) are all good. But
nothing requires a wiki for those. Most canonical wiki features, edit
this page, anyone can edit, wikisyntax, wikilinks, and in browser
editing don't seem to have helped much at all (in document
production). And for some tasks, the wiki sucked.

So I would hope that future document production at the W3C that I was
involved in would give me the nice features in a more comfortable
overall environment.