Re: Manchester Syntax document ready (ACTION-205)

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider
<pfps@research.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> I don't know what you are asking for here.
>
> It is true that annotations interfere with the flow, and thus make
> ontology dumps hard to read, but what else can be done?

The issue is not the annotations but rather the display of any entity
that does not use a human readable URI.

> I will change the "user-friendly" bit to talk explicitly about descriptions.

I'd rather live up to the "user-friendly". The implementation of
Manchester syntax in Protege allows the use of a label in place of a
localname in expressions.

The first thing I would suggest is a syntax for comments that can be
embedded by tools.
"//" "#" "/* .. */" ";" are common convention, but "( .. )" fit in some spots.
With this a tool would be able to write, e.g.

Class: obo:artifact
    Annotations:
       obo:IAO_0000116 ( editor note ) "There is not yet consensus this term",
       obo:IAO_0000114 ( curation status ) obo:IAO_0000124 ( uncurated ),

The next level of change would allow, in the case that a rdfs:label
uniquely determines the identity of a term, a tool to use the
rdfs:label in place of the uri ref.

Class: obo:artifact
    Annotations:
       'editor note': "There is not yet consensus this term",
       'curation status': 'uncurated',

Where the label is not unique it could be qualified by the uri

Class: obo:artifact
    Annotations:
       'editor note' (obo:IAO_0000116) : "There is not yet consensus this term",
       'curation status': 'uncurated',

In the case that there are multiple language labels, we could leave it
to the discretion of the tool to provide a mechanism for choosing a
preferred language.

-Alan