Re: test cases on wiki

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 15:26:38 +0100
Cc: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, public-owl-wg@w3.org
To: Ian Horrocks <ian.horrocks@comlab.ox.ac.uk>

On 21 May 2008, at 15:06, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> On 19 May 2008, at 16:34, Bijan Parsia wrote:
[snip]
>> Writing test cases really really sucks, by the by.
>
> Can you say a little more about what the problems are and how you
> think they might be addressed?

Sure. There's lots of axis (expressivity, kind of test, granularity
etc.) of metadata and a lot of metadata that isn't obvious outside
some arbitrary decisions (e.g., naming the test case, providing a
description). To convert my table of different bnode semantics and
their effects would require a pretty large effort and up to twelve
wiki pages (and it's weird, can I use the same test case to cover the
cases where both results are identical under either semantics? should
I only produce a test case for the situations where they differ?)

Some of it is the wiki; some of it is the difficulty of putting
together a nice framework; and some of it is that writing test cases
is inherently hard.

>> I strongly request of the chairs that we do something to move this
>> forward. Test cases written in a crunch at the end are going to be
>> painful to do and hard to validate. I suggest that we actually put
>> some people in charge of doing this.
>
> We are on to it.

Great!

>> I am not one of those people!