Re: owl:intendedProfile (proposal for ISSUE-111)

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 11:35:28 +0100
Cc: public-owl-wg@w3.org
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>

On 22 Apr 2008, at 20:59, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> Here's a possible solution for ISSUE-111 [1], with some variations and
> discussion.  I was only considering the RDF/XML serialization
> here.  For
> the XML serialization, a MIME type could a good solution.
>
> * Basic Approach:
>
> Use an ontology property.  So the users adds a triple like this:
>
>   <> owl:intendedProfile owl:DL.

This seems fine to me! Useful, perhaps.

> This would have processing-model semantics, much like owl:imports.
> The
> processing model is something like this:
[snip]

This is interesting, but I wonder if something simpler like "Emit a
warning if the tool will process the document according to a
semantics other than what's specified by the annotation property"? At
least as a start.

Hmm. I certainly don't want to add underspecified properties (a la
deprecated class). OTOH, this processing model (which seems sensible)
also seems rather complex and makes me wonder whether it's overall a
good idea.

So, I don't know. Anyone else?