Re: ACTION-93 / ISSUE-63: Initiated work on OWL-1.1-Full semantics

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:00:04 -0400 (EDT)
To: schneid@fzi.de
Cc: public-owl-wg@w3.org, jjc@hpl.hp.com

Looks good.

General points:

1/

IF AND ONLY IF
THEN

is not good grammar and is very hard to understand.  It should either be

IF AND ONLY IF

or

IF
THEN

depending on what is meant.

A few specific points:

1/ Axiomatic triple:

	owl11:disjointObjectProperties rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty

should be

	owl11:disjointObjectProperties rdf:type rdf:Property

Similarly for owl11:disjointDataProperties and owl:onProperty and
rdfs:subPropertyOf and owl11:propertyChain and owl:unionOf, at least.  The domain and
range of rdfs:subPropertyOf are not owl:ObjectProperty.

2/ I do not believe that a comprehension principle is needed for
   owl11:disjointUnionOf (so long as there is a comprehension principle
   for lists of descriptions) and the syntax requires that the
   disjointUnion be a named class.

3/ The main semantic conditions for negative property assertions have an
   unbound variable.   This is probably a bad thing in an IFF condition.
   I suggest instead using an IF condition and a comprehension principle
   (like for the n-ary constructs).

4/ I believe that owl:subPropertyOf should be rdfs:subPropertyOf

5/ The RDFS-compatible semantics for OWL 1.0 would be incorrect if
	owl:FunctionalProperty rdfs:subClassOf owl:ObjectProperty

   was an axiomatic triple.  Similarly for the domain and range of
   owl:sameAs and owl:differentFrom.  Similarly for the domain and range
   of owl:equivalentProperty and the range of owl:onProperty and
   owl:hasValue.

peter

PS: Good catch on owl:AllDifferent