RE: ISSUE-96 (OWL1.1 vocabulary names): OWL-1.1 vocabulary naming in RDF mapping is not consistent

Hi Rinke!

You wrote:

>Ah I now see the problem. The RDF mapping and Functional Syntax
>documents seem to differ on this issue. In the RDF mapping,
>owl11:disjointObjectProperties is indeed a relation between two
>properties, whereas the functional syntax states 'the
>disjointObjectProperties axiom takes a set of object properties and
>states that all properties from the set are pair-wise disjoint.'

And analogue for owl11:equivalentObjectPropert[y], where you also have an n-ary relation in the functional syntax.

>It seems what is an intuitive name in the functional syntax, isn't in
>the other.

Remember that there is an ongoing debate about whether to represent all n-ary constructs in RDF or not. In [1], Boris has made a proposal how to RDF-ize these constructs in general, which is similar to how AllDifferent constructs are already treated in OWL-1.0. For example (an adaption of Boris' original example):

  _:x rdf:type owl11:AllEquivalentObjectProperties
  _:x owl11:members T(SEQ p_1 ... p_n)

As for 'owl:differentFrom' and 'owl:AllDifferent', I would appreciate to see Boris' n-ary RDF representation in /addition/ to the binary version based on 'owl11:equivalentObjectPropert[y]'. And analogue for disjoint properties.

What I would /not/ like to see is that the URI 'owl11:equivalentObjectPropert[ies]' gets overloaded for both the binary and the n-ary version, i.e.

  p1 owl11:equivalentObjectProperties p2

*and*

  p1 owl11:equivalentObjectProperties T(SEQ p_2 ... p_n)

No, I really wouldn't like this! :)

[1] <http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/tracker/issues/94>

>On 2 mrt 2008, at 17:33, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:
>

>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> As far as I know, the names are intentional. The rationale is that
>> the range of e.g. owl11:subObjectPropertyOf is a property, whereas
>> the range of owl11:disjointObjectProperties is a *collection* of
>> properties (as with e.g. allDisjoint)
>>
>> -Rinke
>>
>> On 2 mrt 2008, at 15:49, OWL Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
>>

>>> ISSUE-96 (OWL1.1 vocabulary names): OWL-1.1 vocabulary naming in
>>> RDF mapping is not consistent
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/tracker/issues/
>>>
>>> Raised by: Michael Schneider
>>> On product:
>>>
>>> In the RDF mapping, we have the following URIs:
>>>
>>> * owl11:subObjectPropertyOf
>>> * owl11:equivalentObjectProperty
>>> * owl11:disjointObjectProperties
>>>
>>> At least the names for the 2nd URI (singular) and 3rd URI (plural)
>>> will perhaps lead to confusion. I suggest to use names
>close to the
>>> existing names in OWL-1.0:
>>>
>>> * keep "owl11:subObjectPropertyOf", since there is
>>> "rdfs:subPropertyOf"
>>>
>>> * keep "owl11:equivalentObjectProperty", since there is
>>> "owl:equivalentProperty"
>>>
>>> * change "owl11:disjointObjectProperties" to
>>>   * either "owl11:disjointObjectProperty" to match
>>> "owl:equivalentProperty"
>>>   * or "owl11:dijointObjectPropertyWith" to match
>>> "owl:disjointWith" for classes
>>>
>>> The same changes will then have to be performed for data
>>> properties, too, of course.
>>>
>>> Michael Schneider

>> Drs. Rinke Hoekstra
>>
>> Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
>> Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
>> Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke
>>
>> Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
>> University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
>> 1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands

>Drs. Rinke Hoekstra
>
>Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
>Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
>Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke
>
>Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
>University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
>1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
Email: Michael.Schneider@fzi.de

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe