Re: RDF/XML shorthand for RDF reification

On Jun 26, 2008, at 5:53 AM, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2008, at 22:48, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
>> On Jun 25, 2008, at 3:50 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>
>>> The point I was making was that using the shorthand results in the
>>> reification node having a real name, i.e., not being a blank node,
>>> which
>>> messes up lots of things, including parsing and semantics.
>>
>> Just for the record, how will it mess up parsing and semantics. All
>> of our use of reification is for axioms. As I see it, the
>> difference would be whether axioms had names in OWL Full (on the
>> semantics side) and on the parsing described in table 6 and 17,
>> which seem like they could be adjusted to used named instead of
>> blank nodes.
>
> Here's a possibility:
>
> Suppose I serialize the same ontology with annotations on axioms
> twice using two different serializers, S1 and S2. S1 sorts the
> axioms lexicographically, then generates names for the axioms
> starting from a seed and prefixing it with the xml:base, plus some
> urn prfix. S2 also sorts lexicographically, but ascending (whereas
> S1 is descending) and uses the same genname function.
>
> Now suppose I merge (or import) these two ontologies. It seems that
> I would get some potentially strange results.
>
> Naming axioms should done with *extreme* care.

Thanks for the example.
I agree that care would need to be taken. It seems that what needs to
be avoided are collisions. Allocating unique names is a fairly common
practice these days - a combination of mac address, system time in
milliseconds , and a reasonably sized random salt should be sufficient
to ensure uniqueness.

What about the other way around - the "same" axiom having multiple
differently named reifications - this would seem to be analogous to
the current bnode case?