RE: A proposal for ISSUE-104 (built-in vocabulary)

Boris Motik wrote:

>Hello,
>
>But consider the case where you use declare rdf:first as and
>owl:ObjectProperty, but your ontology also contains a nominal
>containing a literal. In the serialization of the ontology, you'll have
>
>_:x rdf:first "c"^^xsd:string
>
>but you'd also have
>
>rdf:first rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty.
>
>But then, you've just showed the constant "c"^^xsd:string into the
>individual domain. Under OWL DL semantics, your graph is now
>unsatisfiable.

I think, the actual problem is the reverse mapping. It would be necessary
for the reverse mapping to clearly distinguish between syntax related usage
(as in the "owl:oneOf(...)" expression), and custom usage (rdf:first as an
object property in our example). Then, the resulting FS syntax would be
something like:

  # mapping of the nominal containing a literal
  ... OneOf( ... "c"^^xsd:string ... )

  # mapping of the custom usage of rdf:first
  Declaration(ObjectProperty(rdf:first))
  PropertyAssertion(rdf:first _:z ex:something)

So in this case, the URI 'rdf:first' would exclusively occur as an object
property in the resulting FS ontology, and there would be no problem with
the semantics.

However, I am not sure whether the current reverse mapping would provide
this result. It might be (I would need to check) that, in the case that
rdf:first is an allowed URI, the reverse mapping would see the isolated
triple

  _:x rdf:first "c"^^xsd:string

and would try to map it into a data property assertion. This would be fatal,
of course.

So the reverse mapping would perhaps need to be adjusted.

And now, I am not convinced anymore that it is perfectly possible to have a
reverse mapping which always properly distinguishes between syntax and
custom usage. For example, the same list expression in an RDF graph (or only
a part of it) may be used both as part of the syntax and in a custom way:

    :alice rdf:type [
        rdf:type owl:Class ;
        owl:oneOf ( :person1 :person2 ) ]

    :alice :likes ( :person1 :person2 )

What to do here? The "canonical parsing process" in the current reverse
mapping cannot simply remove the list after the first axiom has been mapped,
since the list expression is still needed to process the second axiom. But
when list expressions are /not/ removed after the mapping of syntax use,
then I am not clear how to correctly cover the "punning-like" cases such as
the one discussed above.

But even if it would turn out to be technically possible to always correctly
distinguish between custom and syntax usage, adjusting the reverse mapping
for handling custom use of RDF lists would perhaps significantly add to the
complexity of the RDF mapping. The reverse mapping is currently already very
complicated, and making it even more complex may lead to errors and other
problems.

To make this clear: My original idea was to introduce custom usage of RDF
lists (and reification, and ...), *if* we can get it mainly for *free*, by
just not disallowing the respective URIs. But now, I see that the cost would
probably be much higher than I expected.

So I won't push this topic any further, at least not for RDF lists (I did
not yet consider RDF reification). This looks to me as something what
/might/ be possible, but I rather tend to postpone this issue ("we currently
don't know how to do this").

>Under OWL Full semantics, it is really not clear what happens.

The situation in OWL Full is much less complicated. :)

>Regards,
>
>	Boris

Best,
Michael