Re: Action-166 Draft sketch of how to serialize rdf annotation spaces - separate files

On Jul 16, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

>> The part that I was specifically trying to enable was reasoning
>> within
>> the annotations, for example to allow for domain and ranges on
>> annotation properties. This is the part that I didn't see how to
>> manage
>> comfortably within a single file.
>

> Why not?  In particular, why not use something analogous to the
> process
> from the paper you cite?

I was worried that was a lot more mechanism, and that given where we
were in the process, the desire to get something in to this release
of OWL, and the desire to keep to schedule and move quickly towards
last call, the amount of work associated with doing that might have
been considered too much. I didn't want to have proposing that much
change put the possibility of getting *something* in this space out
of reach.

In addition there were two technical details which I wasn't sure were
covered by the paper. The first is annotations on annotations. I did
want to make sure some version of this is possible as I am aware of
several use cases in current projects that need it. The second was
the issue of how to view that proposal from an RDF point of view.

I did note that the reification of the axioms and associated ontology
of OWL axioms proposed by the paper seems to not be incompatible with
what I've proposed- in the sense that I can see how one could script
the creation of the reified axioms, and then import that into the
second file.

However, I like that paper and its approach and if the WG were wiling
to seriously consider what it proposes I'd certainly support that.

-Alan