RE: A possible way of going forward with OWL-R unification (ISSUE-131)

Ivan Herman wrote:

>> I need to speculate, please comment: If I have an RDF graph, which is
>intended
>> to be an OWL-R ontology in RDF graph form, then:
>>
>>   (A) If I want to do RDF-based reasoning, I just use the triple rules
>as I
>> would do it in current OWL-R/Full.
>>
>>   (B) If I want to do DL-style reasoning, then
>>
>>       (1) I try to map the graph to functional style syntax by means
>of the
>> reverse RDF mapping.
>>
>>       (2) If the RDF graph could successfully be mapped,
>>           then the resulting functional syntax is checked against the
>OWL-R
>> constraints
>>           as provided by the Profiles document (still to be defined,
>of
>> course).
>>
>>       (3) If the functional syntax turns out to be a valid OWL-R
>ontology,
>>           then the model-theoretic semantics as specified in the
>Semantics
>> document
>>           are applied. These are then the OWL-R/DL semantics of this
>ontology.
>>
>> Is it this?
>>

>I think the point of OWL-R is that in, say, 95% of the cases (A) and (B)
>(well, by re-serializing the result of (B) into RDF, that is) the
>resulting set of RDF triples will be identical by some mathematical
>magic:-)

I don't understand this statement. What do you mean by "the resulting set of
RDF triples"? My question started from an /existing/ RDF graph, I didn't talk
about /producing/ RDF.

Let me say this: As long as the triple rules don't change, then things seem to
move in the direction which I prefer. It should then even be possible without
a problem to add the RDFS axiomatic triples and perhaps additional ones for
OWL R. Why? Because we can then state the following: "If used in "RDF mode",
the additional axiomatic triples belong to the rule set. If used in "DL mode",
then they are not taken into account." I suppose that this won't have big
ramifications for the semantic comparison of the two modes, because such a
comparison will probably be done in a "Theorem 2" way: Only such entailments
are actually compared, where the LHS and the RHS are valid OWL-R-DL ontologies
in RDF graph form. This should cancel out most stuff resulting from the
additional axiomatic triples. I am not perfectly certain about this claim, but
this was the way how OWL-DL and OWL-Full (having all the RDFS axiomatic
triples, of course) have been compared in the past, so there is at least some
hope that it might work. :)