Re: Doubts about the proposal to resolve ISSUE-5 [WAS: Teleconference.2008.07.09/Agenda]

Bijan,

There seems to be some confusion here about the process we have
adopted for resolving issues (for which I don't make any claims other
than that it *is* the one we have adopted). Issues are added to the
"proposals to resolve" section of the agenda not whenever a proposal
is made, but when the chairs believe that there is a consensus around
such a proposal. Unless the teleconf discussion rapidly confirms the
chairs' belief, the issue is put back on the "further discussion
needed" list.

In this case, it didn't seem to us when we were preparing the agenda
that your proposed resolution was likely to be approved without at
least a great deal of debate. We therefore left the issue in the
"issue discussion" part of the agenda. I think that events proved us
right -- we spent quite a while discussing it and *still* didn't
reach an agreement.

Ian