Re: Action-164 suggestions (again) for unnamed individuals *in addition* to bnodes

On Jul 2, 2008, at 8:33 AM, Bijan Parsia wrote:
> On 2 Jul 2008, at 12:21, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>> On Jul 2, 2008, at 7:12 AM, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>>> On 2 Jul 2008, at 12:00, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>>>
>> So better would be:
>>
>> UnnamedIndividual([handle] type(owl:Thing))
>>
>> where handle is name for the individual that has scoped within the
>> ontology only.
>
> Aka bnode ids :)

No. Specifically not, by this proposal. A different syntactic
category. One that would function, however, in the way you have
proposed bnodes should (other than the fact that they are not,
technically, bnodes)

>> Why? The individuals created by the "UnnamedIndividual()"
>> constructor are not really anonymous - they are named, just not by
>> the user. So we have tree-shaped restrictions for the
>> existentials, as in OWL 1, and arbitrary graphs of named
>> individuals, as before.
>
> If Bnodes have existential semantics and they appear in arbitrary
> graphs patterns, then we're back to where we started :)

Yes, but I've just said that they can't. Only the the pseudo
anonymous individuals can appear in arbitrary graphs by this
proposal. Perhaps I'm not being clear enough. My proposal is, if one
writes the following:

UnnamedIndividual(myname type(owl:Thing))

That a new guid is created to name this individual, say: owl:uuid/
15207c60-4835-11dd-942d-0002a5d5c51b

The statement is processed (by a step immediately after parsing) as
if it was written as:

Individual(owl:uuid/15207c60-4835-11dd-942d-0002a5d5c51b type
(owl:Thing))

In addition, within the scope of an the ontology being parsed,
occurrences of the name "myname", are replaced with owl:uuid/
15207c60-4835-11dd-942d-0002a5d5c51b

Absent anything further, on rereading this ontology the editor is
able to recognize that this is one of those unnamed individuals
because its name is in the reserved owl namespace and of a specific
form. It would create a genid, as tools do now, or if the user (or
tool) wished to remember the previous name they could add a label or
annotation to do so. If we wished would could define a built-in
annotation property to record the handle.