Re: UFDTF minutes for 28 Jan 2008

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2008, at 9:39 PM, Elisa F. Kendall wrote:
>

>> Hi Peter and all,
>>
>> Since I missed the last part of the call, and the minutes are fairly
>> terse, a couple of questions:
>> (1) was there any decision made with respect to a separate
>> overview/quick start document in addition to moving forward with the
>> primer/guide?
>
> No.
this also brings up the question, of how to make forward progress on
this point.  at the meeting we heard that at least some of us had a
number of users who use and desire this overview functionality.
simultaneously at least some of us believed that it would not be able to
be merged with the primer work.  precisely some of the issues that were
brought up as desires for the 1.1 guide replacement - constructor
completeness, running example of something ala the wine demo, create too
much of a tension with the desired short description and quickstart
capabilities with some notion of completeness providing cut and paste
options for the guide.
Given that we as a group are committed to providing the overview
capabilities in the charter and some believe strongly that it should not
be merged into the primer (and also believe that it does not belong on a
home page), how do we make forward progress on this?  i thought elisa
brought some fresh perspective to the topic with her homework on
reviewing other existing documents and she had some suggestions for an
outline.  i also thought it would make sense to take her up on her offer
to think more about outline issues as a result of her work.  do others
agree/disagree at least with the offer for more thoughts on the outline?

>> (2) is there a summary anywhere of the concerns (i.e., regarding the
>> comment that the primer could replace the guide modulo a few concerns)?
>
> From memory and minutes:
> * Would like it to be constructor comprehensive (Peter said close
> anyways)
>
> * Would like it to have something to play with a la wine agent (for
> further discussion)
>
> But we left it deliberately vague as we expect things to advance and
> continue comment over time.
one other thing that was mentioned, was that the straw poll was not
concerning moving forward with the primer as a potential replacement for
the overview.  if we had taken a straw poll on that, not surprisingly, i
would have voted -1 and from the comments on the call, i believe others
would have voted that way as well.

elisa also mentioned in her presentation the value of the example and
while i and some like the wine example, we realize it has some issues.
she proposed some other topics as options.  we did not discuss this
point further but i think we should so that we have some idea of what
the example is that we are expecting to have to play with since assuming
it is new content, it is worth spending some time soon thinking about it
so we have enough time to get a decent agent available to play with.  i
will see elisa on friday of next week and if there was interest in the 2
topics she mentioned (olive oil and/or cheese), i would be happy to
explore those thoughts further with her.