Re: URI's in syntax document

From: Rinke Hoekstra <hoekstra@uva.nl>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:30:25 +0100
Cc: OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Ian Horrocks <ian.horrocks@comlab.ox.ac.uk>

On 29 jan 2008, at 10:57, Ian Horrocks wrote:
>> I find the use of 'URI' in the syntax document rather unclear.
>> There seem to be two different usages:
>> * one that denotes an identifier (as in ontologyURI, owlClassURI,
>> owlObjectPropertyURI), and
>> * one that denotes a type (as in annotationURI)
>
> I didn't completely understand this. An annotationURI is an
> identifier isn't it? -- it is a property name (in fact an annotation
> property name).

Hm, yes, maybe I was a bit cryptic. What I meant is that every element
has a URI-attribute that denotes its identity. Only for annotations
the URI is not the identity of the annotation itself, but the identity
of the annotation property.

>> It would be good to distinguish between the two, as it can get
>> really confusing (e.g. when trying to understand annotations).
>> Secondly, these names are based on the datatype of the value, and
>> not on their intended interpretation (trying to avoid the word
>> meaning here...).
>
> Sorry, but I didn't get this either. Which names did you mean?

Ok, this is a bit picking nits, but it is not very elegant to have
properties be named after their datatypes. For instance, as
'owlClassURI' denotes an identifier, a better name would be
'owlClassID'. Using 'owlClassURI' as identifier for classes is a bit
like using 'personString' as names for persons.

-Rinke