Re: ISSUE-16 (entity annotations)

2a for me as well...

I suppose this issue will come up when we discuss Rich Annotations?

-Rinke

On 14 jan 2008, at 19:26, Deborah L. McGuinness wrote:

> i would use option 2a if available and i would not be able to encode
> some of the things i need to encode for my knowledge provenance work
> if i can not annotate annotations.
> Thus, also, if there is a vote, i vote for 2a.
>
> deborah
>
> Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>> In ISUE-16, Jeremy points out an asymmetry in the treatement of
>> annotations in OWL 1.1.
>>
>> There are two kinds of top-level "annotations" in OWL 1.1, 1/
>> Entity Annotations, which are axioms
>> 2/ Annotations on Ontologies, which are not axioms
>>
>> I agree that this asymmetry is not ideal.
>>
>> There appear to be two ways to recover symmetry here:
>>
>> 1/ Make Entity Annotations not be axioms, which, to retain symmetry,
>>   would probably end up not allowing annotations on entity
>> annotations
>>   (but leaving annotations on entities), so one could say:
>>
>>   EntityAnnotation(OWLClass(Person)
>>     Label("People") Comment("The Class of People"))
>>
>>   but *not*
>>
>>   EntityAnnotation(Annotation(creatorsName "Peter F. Patel-
>> Schneider")
>>     OWLClass(Person) Label("People") Comment("The Class of People"))
>>
>> 2/ Make Annotations on Ontologies be axioms, which would probably
>> allow
>>   annotations on entity annotation axioms, and also allow annotations
>>   on ontology annotations, as in
>>
>>   Ontology(<http://foo.ex/foo>
>>     Comment(Annotation(creatorsName "Peter F. Patel-Schneider")
>>             "An ontology about nothing at all"))
>>
>> 2a/ The second option could be extended to allow annotations on any
>>    annotation, as in
>>   EntityAnnotation(Annotation(creatorsName "Peter F. Patel-
>> Schneider")
>>     OWLClass(Person)
>>     Label(Annotation(creatorsName "Peter F. Patel-Schneider")
>> "People")
>>     Comment(Annotation(creatorsName "Bijan Parsia") "The Class of
>> People"))
>>    I think that I would vote for option 2a, even though it is the
>> largest
>> changed to the current situation.
>>
>> Peter F. Patel-Schneider
>> Bell Labs Research
>>
>> PS:  I make not claims about the suitability of the actual
>> annotations
>>     in the examples above.
>>
>> PPS: I expect that there is a missing "not" after "should" in the
>>     description of the issue in the issue list.

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands