About "deprecation" of 'owl:DataRange'

From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:28:50 +0100
To: "Web Ontology Language ((OWL)) Working Group WG" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
Hi!

Some remarks to telecon agenda item:

> o PROPOSED: close (as RESOLVED) Issue 29
>   (ser-defined Datatypes: owl:DataRange vs rdfs:Datatype)
>   as per
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2008Jan/0017.html

In the cited mail, Peter proposes:

>  4. In OWL Full, owl:Datarange is deprecated
      (and made equivalent to rdfs:Datatype).

Question 1:
Why should 'owl:DataRange' only be deprecated in OWL-Full? I would rather
read this as "deprecated in the RDF syntax", independent on the respective
OWL dialect.

Remark 2:
Deprecation is probably ok, if it is meant in the way of: "Do not use
'owl:DataRange' in new ontologies, because there is a preferred way to
express data ranges.". But note that there will probably be always old OWL
ontologies around (both DL and Full), which contain datavalue enumerations
of the form:

  _:x rdf:type owl:DataRange .
  _:x owl:oneOf ( d1 ... dn ) .

So, deprecation in the meaning of "Will be dropped in the future." is
perhaps too drastic.

Cheers,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe