Re: Proposal to close ISSUE-83 and ISSUE-8

wait, wait - now I'm even more confused than I was -- are we, or are
we not, talking about the EasyKeys proposal being part of OWL 1.1?
If so, wouldn't the last property in a property chain be implemented
exactly the same way?   If so, then we aren't closing the issue with
a Reject, if not, then what is the difference?  So couldn't we have
"easykeys" at the end of property chains?
  -JH
p.s. btw, I did look at Uli's slides, but without the accompanying
explanation for the non-theorist, and there was very little in the
log, the details were not terribly clear - I was assuming at some
point there'd be some description of the solution in one of our
documents.  I

On Jan 10, 2008, at 6:33 PM, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2008, at 10:57 PM, Jim Hendler wrote:
>
>> I must admit to being confused- I thought the issue of property
>> chains ending in data properties has the same decidability as
>> inversefunctional datatypes - that is, that Uli has a suggestion
>> we might adopt that fixes things (Bijan - you wailed on me when
>> you thought i was ignoring this!) -- is there a reason these are
>> different?  If not, shouldn't the solution work for Issue 8 as well?
>
> The problem is that although decidable (though you have to be
> careful, so the exact details of the proposal matter) like
> *general* inversefunctional data properties, the implementation is
> seriously non-trivial and there has been no evidence that *any*
> implementor will implement it, at least, in a complete way. (This
> is why we have an "EasyKeys" proposal in the works.) So, we
> shouldn't *require* it as things stand now. However, if some
> implementor wants to implement it, or some user wants it and will
> pay some implementor, then they have syntax "ready to hand" (i.e.,
> it doesn't require inventing new terms, just relaxing some
> restrictions on existing syntax).
>
> Ah yes, you weren't at the F2F so you might not have the design
> principle I'm applying fresh to mind. At the first OWLED, the
> guiding principles for adding features were:
> 	1) There had to be strong, committed user demand. (i.e., it
> shouldn't just be "Nice to have I guess" but "I will use this")
> 	2) We had to have a good understanding of the feature, how to
> implement it, etc.
> 	3) We had to have commitment from the implementors to actually
> implement it.
>
> At the moment there's not the slightest evidence that any
> implementor will implement this (the general feature).
>
> What I believe some implementor *will* do is implement something
> similar to the corresponding DL-safe rules...but that's why we have
> a RIF task force.
>
> Hence we close it until we get some evidence that it will be
> implemented. (The general feature, of course.)
>
>>  -JH
>> p.s. I was told this about issue 8, I cannot tell for sure if it
>> also is the case for issue-83,
>
> Issue-83 proposes an undecidable feature.
>
> Cheers,
> Bijan.

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair