Re: Proposal to close ISSUE-83 and ISSUE-8

On Jan 10, 2008, at 10:57 PM, Jim Hendler wrote:

> I must admit to being confused- I thought the issue of property
> chains ending in data properties has the same decidability as
> inversefunctional datatypes - that is, that Uli has a suggestion we
> might adopt that fixes things (Bijan - you wailed on me when you
> thought i was ignoring this!) -- is there a reason these are
> different?  If not, shouldn't the solution work for Issue 8 as well?

The problem is that although decidable (though you have to be
careful, so the exact details of the proposal matter) like *general*
inversefunctional data properties, the implementation is seriously
non-trivial and there has been no evidence that *any* implementor
will implement it, at least, in a complete way. (This is why we have
an "EasyKeys" proposal in the works.) So, we shouldn't *require* it
as things stand now. However, if some implementor wants to implement
it, or some user wants it and will pay some implementor, then they
have syntax "ready to hand" (i.e., it doesn't require inventing new
terms, just relaxing some restrictions on existing syntax).

Ah yes, you weren't at the F2F so you might not have the design
principle I'm applying fresh to mind. At the first OWLED, the guiding
principles for adding features were:
	1) There had to be strong, committed user demand. (i.e., it
shouldn't just be "Nice to have I guess" but "I will use this")
	2) We had to have a good understanding of the feature, how to
implement it, etc.
	3) We had to have commitment from the implementors to actually
implement it.

At the moment there's not the slightest evidence that any implementor
will implement this (the general feature).

What I believe some implementor *will* do is implement something
similar to the corresponding DL-safe rules...but that's why we have a
RIF task force.

Hence we close it until we get some evidence that it will be
implemented. (The general feature, of course.)

>  -JH
> p.s. I was told this about issue 8, I cannot tell for sure if it
> also is the case for issue-83,

Issue-83 proposes an undecidable feature.