Re: Editorial bug in the EL profile?

On Freitag, 15. August 2008, Carsten Lutz wrote:
> Dear Evan,
>
> I would classify it as "common knowledge" that EbjectExistsSelf can be
> added to all existing algorithms for EL++ without spoiling their good
> properties. This is really easy to see. When writing the EL++ papers,
> we simply didn't expect that this operator would become important in
> the future. It certainly doesn't deserve an extra publication, so we
> should not wait for one before putting this operator in the spec.
>
> I also suspect that some algorithm by Markus Kroetzsch et al can deal
> with the operator explicitly. Can't check now since I am travelling.
> Markus?

Yes, we describe how to handle this for (an extension of) EL++ in an upcoming
ISWC paper:

Markus Krötzsch, Sebastian Rudolph, Pascal Hitzler. "ELP: Tractable Rules for
OWL 2." In Proceedings of the 7th International Semantic Web Conference
(ISWC-08). Springer 2008. To appear.
http://korrekt.org/page/ELP

This paper uses various OWL 2 features to obtain a polytime rule
language "ELP" that subsumes EL++. As explained in the paper, all our results
are directly applicable to EL++ as well: any EL++ statement "A subclassOf B"
essentially can directly be expressed as a rule "A(x) -> B(x)" in our
formalism.

So we should probably add this to the references of the profiles document.

Regards,

Markus

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universität Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe