(interesting) history for ISSUE-111 mimetype

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:21:02 +0100
To: "Web Ontology Language ((OWL)) Working Group WG" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

ACTION-137

I've added the following text as a note to this issue. I thought this
was interesting.

Historical note:

In WebOnt this was
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues.html#I5.13-Internet-Media-Type-for-OWL

with a proposal that was initially accepted (by the WG) for a media type
that had an optional parameter for intended entailments

http://www.openhealth.org/WOWG/owl-mediatype.html

but later dropped.

The reason for dropping, see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0132.html
item 2.3 about 3/8 way down,
was schedule issues, and a belief that it was non-essential to have a
mime type. Evan Wallace and Mike Dean were against in a straw poll but
abstained.

I think one way forward would be to do precisely what webont had
intended, but ran out of steam on.

Jeremy